Baltimore, MD is comprised of Baltimore City and Baltimore County. This market overview will cover both counties, which differ greatly.
A super city is forming in the DC-Baltimore Corridor. As Washington, DC continues its federally funded sprawl, Baltimore and the area that connects it to the nation's capital is strengthening.
Things to know about Greater Baltimore
- Located just 40 miles from Washington, DC
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) is now the most trafficked airport in the Mid Atlantic region. BWI, a strategic Southwest Airlines hub, is a mere 15 minutes from Baltimore's Inner Harbor.
- Baltimore, 25 minutes from the National Security Agency (NSA) at Fort Meade, is carving out a niche in cyber security. Startups and government contractors are creating high-paid jobs in this sector supported by leading universities including University of Maryland, College Park (UMD) and University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC).
- Baltimore, home to Johns Hopkins University, Johns Hopkins Hospital, the University of Maryland Medical System and MedStar, has become a leading healthcare services market.
Baltimore City Data
- Population: 593,490 (2019)
- 30th most populous city in the United States
- GDP: $52.2 billion (2018)
Major Employers In Baltimore City:
- Johns Hopkins University (25,000)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital & Health System (19,340)
- University of Maryland Medical System (9,830)
- University System of Maryland (9,111)
- MedStar Health (6,027)
- LifeBridge Health (5,316)
- Mercy Health Services (4,028)
- St. Agnes HealthCare (3,267)
- Exelon (2,952)
- Morgan State University (2,000)
Baltimore County Data
- Population: 827, 370
- GDP: $55.0 billion (2018)
Major Employers In Baltimore County:
- U.S. Social Security Administration: 12,751
- University System of Maryland: 6,358
- T. Rowe Price Group: 4,200
- GBMC HealthCare: 3,900
- MedStar Franklin Square Medical Center: 3,600
- Maryland Department of Commerce
- U.S. Census Bureau
Get an instant offer for your home from OfferMarket
Create a no cost, no obligation listing on OfferMarket